ILAC Guidance documents for accreditation bodies and accredited organisations may provide information on the interpretation of accreditation criteria for specific applications.
- ILAC G3:08/2012 Guidelines for Training Courses for Assessors Used by Accreditation Bodies
These guidelines have been prepared to assist accreditation bodies to set up training courses that are in line with international practice and which will enable them to generate the lead assessors and technical assessors that they need. In addition, Guidelines on Grading of Non-Conformities, previously included in ILAC G20, have been included in Annex A of this document.
- ILAC G7:02/2016 Accreditation Requirements and Operating Criteria for Horseracing Laboratories
The purpose of this document is to provide: Part A: A compilation of test-method-related requirements for horseracing laboratories that accreditation bodies have submitted. Part B: Recommendations for establishing the presence of prohibited substances that have been agreed within the horseracing industry. Part C: Additional recommendations on compliance with an appropriate performance specification, and the adoption of harmonised definitions for terms commonly used by racing chemists.
- ILAC G8:03/2009 Guidelines on the Reporting of Compliance with Specification – under revision
This document provides guidelines for testing and calibration laboratories (and their customers) in relation to the decision and reporting of compliance or non-compliance with specific requirements. Legal or regulatory requirements for the reporting of compliance override these guidelines.
(Proposed revision is potentially extensive to ensure on-going alignment with ISO/IEC 17025 and GUM. In addition, a survey and workshop addressing this topic indicated this document is being used in different ways by accreditation bodies and the applications of reporting compliance is becoming more complex; the document will therefore be extensively re-worked.)
- ILAC G11:07/2006 ILAC Guidelines on Qualifications & Competence of Assessors and Technical Experts – under revision
This document interprets and amplifies ISO/IEC 17011 requirements for an adequate procedure for qualifying and monitoring the performance of assessors and describes criteria for lead assessors and technical assessors.
(Proposed revision is extensive and is being carried out in conjunction with IAF as appropriate. It will encompass content of ILAC G3 and cover expected competencies, training and evaluation of skills of members of the assessment team.)
- ILAC G17:2002 Introducing the Concept of Uncertainty of Measurement in Testing in Association with the Application of the Standard ISO/IEC 17025 – under revision
This document describes how the concept of uncertainty of measurement should be introduced taking into account present state of the art understanding. It is realised that during the course of the implementation of ISO/IEC 17025, suitable sector-specific guidance will be needed. However, the harmonisation of the application of the principles of uncertainty of measurement in testing between different disciplines, industry sectors and economies should remain the main goal.
(Proposed revisions are on hold until current revisions of ISO/IEC 17025 and GUM are finalised in relation to this topic.)
- ILAC G18:04/2010 Guideline for the Formulation of Scopes of Accreditation for Laboratories – under revision
The purpose of this publication is to provide information on how to define the scope of accreditation and to identify some criteria and ways of assessing the scope in order to provide practical guidance for an effective and harmonised application of the relevant international Standards. The major parts concern the implementation of the state of practice of describing the scope for laboratories accredited to modify methods or design new methods as foreseen in ISO/IEC 17025, § 1.6, 5.4.3 and 5.4.4.
(Proposed revision includes review of the scope of this document as well as work with the Inspection Committee on this topic.)
- ILAC G19:08/2014 Modules in a Forensic Science Process
This document is intended to provide guidance for forensic science units involved in examination and testing in the forensic science process by providing application of ISO/IEC 17025 and ISO/IEC 17020.
- ILAC G21:09/2012 Cross Frontier Accreditation - Principles for Cooperation – under revision.
This document was first endorsed by the ILAC General Assembly in 2001, as a code of good practice for ILAC member bodies. The principles set out in this document serve to strengthen the international network of accreditation bodies through the ILAC Arrangement. This document has been revised and approved for publication after being endorsed by the ILAC membership.
(Proposed revision follows extensive feedback from a workshop held on cross frontier accreditation and cooperation between accreditation bodies and may result in the revised document moving to the P-series category).
- ILAC G24:2007 Guidelines for the determination of calibration intervals of measuring instruments – under revision
The purpose of this document is to give laboratories, particularly while setting up their calibration system, guidance on how to determine calibration intervals. This document identifies and describes the methods that are available and known for the evaluation of calibration intervals.
(Proposed revision is a systematic review only, to ensure document remains current.)
- ILAC G26:11/2018 Guidance for the Implementation of a Medical Accreditation Scheme
This is a practical guide for accreditation bodies implementing a medical laboratory accreditation system using ISO 15189. It identifies key aspects of the standard, points out its unique element, and provides advice for the development and maintenance of an accreditation program that is based on ISO 15189.
- ILAC G27:06/2017 Guidance on measurements performed as part of an inspection processThis document is intended to provide guidance on measurements carried out as part of an inspection activity for both inspection bodies and the accreditation bodies assessing inspection bodies. The key objective of this guidance is to help ensure the validity of the measurements performed as part of inspections carried out in accordance with ISO/IEC 17020. It also provides examples via case studies of measurements carried out in inspection that may need to take into consideration the requirements included in ISO/IEC 17025 and ISO 15189.
- ILAC G28:07/2018 Guideline for the Formulation of Scopes of Accreditation for Inspection BodiesThe aim of this document is to assist accreditation bodies in consistently meeting the requirements of ISO/IEC 17011:2017 associated with scopes of accreditation for inspection body accreditation and to encourage an effective and harmonised approach to scopes among accreditation bodies in relation to ISO/IEC 17020:2012.
The Spanish translations of ILAC Guidance documents can be found on the IAAC website. To read more click here.
The German translations of G17 and G21 can be found on the DAR website:G17, G21.
The Russian translations can be found on the AAC Analytica website: G3, G17, G18, G21.
The Turkish translations of ILAC Guidance documents can be found on the TURKAK website. To read more click here.
A list of withdrawn documents is also available here.